Sorry, I Prefer Paper

12/15/2008

With paper catalogs, an error is found once. I can make a notation or use sticky paper or a paperclip to mark it so it can be shared with other counter people. There’s no way to make notation with e-cats I’ve used. I have found e-cats may fix one listing but other new mistakes pop up with each update. I found the following notation yesterday (with 4000# frt axle except DSL) when looking up front struts for a 2001 Impala and rear struts for a 2001 Sable.

Paper mistakes do not need to be permanent. To correct catalog mistakes the companies could send e-mails or snail mail to instruct us to make corrections. Just an idea.

The discussion shouldn’t be about paper or plastic or virtual, it should be about accuracy of information.

Nick Dottore
Metro Auto Parts & Supply
Parma, Ohio

avatar   tiny   star   4/11/2010   2:28 PM

look, there's no question about it: ecatalogs save time. but, for that 63 olds, the paper catalog is the way to go. learn the paper, learn the ecat, and you're good.

both have errors, that's true, but for the most part, BOTH are good, reliable sources for the right parts.

with the advent of internet lookup and electronic everything, it would be silly to not use a wonderful source at your disposal. It would also be naive to think everything could be done with a few simple keystrokes. That's why good parts people can, and often do use both.

avatar   Trav   star   4/16/2009   7:31 AM

You guys are just going by "What If's". There is no need on each set up disc pad to be looked up in the paper catalog. The company I work for offers many different lines. It would be impossible to looked the part up in each paper catalog as quick as in the eCat. So lets get realistic, eCats are a wonderful back and resource but in this day and age eCat is more productive.

avatar   Betie   star   4/7/2009   3:50 PM

At my store we have both paper cats and an e-cat system. Our e-cat system is very user friendly, easy to update, and they are always adding new functions to it. As much as I like the e-cat system and the speed at which I can find things, the paper cats should always be on hand. there are things that are not shown in the computer, or things that the computer does not specify specs or doesn't show a pic of the part, there are also things that are not vehicle specific that customers need, the help section has items in it that are not in the computer under vehicles listings. I turn right to the books for older vehicles and for things like u-joint, not always because it is easier or more accurate but for the notations of all the (no offense) "old guys" i work with, that is knowledge that the computer systems can never replace! As with any translation things are lost between the papers cats and the e-cat!

avatar   Jay   star   3/12/2009   7:21 PM

If you loose power to your e-cat you do you tell you customer we can't work or how is that going to work? No paper catalogs no sales in bad weather or when we loose power?

avatar   Cayson   star   3/9/2009   12:55 PM

Rod does make a very good and true point. At this point in time, there are items that you CANNOT find in the electronic catalog, that you can find in paper catalogs. Example, try to look up brake line lock clips in an electronic catalog. 95% of the e-cats i have seen do not have this listed, and I have had many customers tell me they have been turned away by the competition because "they did not list them"

avatar   Jay   star   3/8/2009   4:25 PM

If your a good with your books or paper catalogs you can be just as fast with it than on a computer.

avatar   rod   star   3/5/2009   6:20 PM

i don't care how good you think you are , if your not using your paper catalogs you are not doing your customers any favors on those hard to find parts . might as well send them to a real parts store.

avatar   JIM   star   3/5/2009   3:52 PM

I WORKED AT A GM DEALERSHIP AN ON THE GM ELECTRONIC CATLOGS, THEY HAVE A SOFTWARE PROGRAM FOR E-CATALOG ERRORS. IF YOU FOUND AN ERROR OR SUPERCEDED PART NUMBER THAT HASN'T BEEN UPDATED, YOU COULD SELECT THE NOTE BUTTON ON THE PARTS SCREEN AND TAG THE PART APPLICATION YOU WANT TO ATTACH THE NOTE TO WEATHER THE LISTING IS AN ERROR AND YOU WANT TO LIST THE CORRECT APPLICATION YOU COULD PUT IT IN THE NOTE AND SAVE IT. THE NEXT TIME THIS PARTICULAR PART NUMBER COMES UP ON THE SCREEN, IT WILL SHOW THE NOTE WITH THE CORRECTION. I'VE USED ALOT OF DIFFERENT E-CATLOGS FROM DEALERSHIP TO AFTERMARKET AND GENERAL MOTORS BY FAR HAS THE BEST E-CATALOGS I'VE EVER USED.

avatar   Cayson Jost   star   3/4/2009   7:08 PM

I believe Nick's problem is the "e-cat" program he is using. The system I use has a very easy way to point out potential listing issues in our electronic catalog. Not only is this faster than putting a post it note or writing a correction in a paper catalog, but the end result will look much better!

avatar   Cayson J   star   3/4/2009   10:20 AM

You make a fair point, but changing an electronic error takes less time, NO materials, and is a permanent and non-noticeable fix. Tell me which looks better, a paper catalog with added pages and scribbles, or its changeable electronic replacement??

avatar   Justin   star   2/19/2009   9:30 AM

Are you saying that you look up everything in a paper catalog? Can you say time-consuming? What percentage of listings are wrong in your e-cat? I bet it's less than 1 percent considering how much info is in that e-cat. And don't you have a way to alert the maintenance person about errors in your e-cat? It is unrealistic in today's society to say that you pull a catalog anytime you look up something.

avatar   Rob   star   1/27/2009   8:58 AM

Our company has an in catalog system for product alerts and catalog mistakes. You should talk with your manager or district manager to see who you should contact in the computer department about adding this functionality.

avatar   Travis   star   1/26/2009   9:09 PM

I find spelling errors in the E-Cats I've used. I always find those to be humorous.