Article > Letters to the Editor

If It's Not A Good Time, Tell Us

3/12/2009

I read with interest Mitch Schneider’s comments in COM-PEN-EEEEEEE! (January, 2009). In my years in the parts business, I have always stressed the importance of empathy when striving to meet the needs of the customer.

Mitch apparently doesn’t appreciate Monday morning sales calls. I have other customers who don’t appreciate Friday afternoon sales calls.

Generally speaking, calling on a repair shop before 9 a.m. isn’t appreciated because the shop is taking work in.
Noon to 1 p.m., repair shops are at lunch.

After 4 p.m., repair shops generally don’t like sales calls because they are trying to get the work out.
So, add it all up and a salesperson has just 24 hours during the week to interact with the customer. Back out the afternoon movie or golf (depending on the weather), the Wednesday afternoon nap and two visits a week to Bass Pro, we barely have time to write an order.

I agree with Mitch about the professional nature of doing business by appointment. One reason that I have enjoyed the parts business has been the opportunity to interact with a wide range of customers.
The vice-president of purchasing of a major university; buyers at a steel mill, a mine, a shipyard; purchasing managers for large trucking company, contractors and amusement parks all require appointments.
The appointment is a thing of beauty. The salesperson arrives at the designated time.

There are no phone calls, employees, customers or other vendors to interrupt the meeting. The salesperson can get in, get business done and get out without wasting anyone’s time.  And by the way, if the appointment cannot be kept, the customer calls in advance to reschedule.

If the salesperson is effective, the customer should welcome the COM-PEN-EEEEEEE.
And Mitch, please, a little empathy for the salesperson. If we don’t recognize that our timing isn’t right for you, tell us. No one will have their feelings hurt. It is just business.

Mitch, trust me, we do not want to wait around wasting our time just to waste your time or to irritate you.

Bob Marsh,
Grafton, Va.

avatar   Justa Partsguy   star   5/25/2010   11:55 AM

Why is it that all these experts know everything....but don't know anything about cars or the true nature of our business... I have worked for a dealer, owned my own shop, wrote service, and wrenched. In all my years, I have heard that it is this way or that way...and the truth is it is all B.S. Shops (people) want the correct part the first time, someone pleasant and experienced on the other end of the phone and no hassle. You don't need to sell anything, just make recommendations when needed and use your ears more than any other part of your body.. That's it... There is no special secret or formula... I am so tired of hearing and reading a lot of garbage..... WAKE UP people I just gave our secrets away..

avatar   tiny   star   3/27/2010   3:47 PM

the thing about being a salesperson is this: what you are selling is yourself. No matter how much better your product is than the next guy's, if you can't see eye to eye with your customer, you got nothing. The key is building a rapport. If the customer wants a rigid appointment type thing, do it. If he doesn't mind a drop in visit, fine. But, to better serve, one must accommodate. One must be aware that one's individual personality is what sells one's wares.

avatar   Jimmies Nut   star   2/12/2010   4:42 PM

Look, if your a well liked person and do not come off as a pushy salesperson, you won't have any trouble coming in at any time at any shop. Hell, I've gone in early or late on purpose to help out the shop, with moving cars, making the coffee etc. And they love me, and buy from me. I'm not a hassle I'm an asset. Learn your customers and be there friends. Get your hands outta your pockets and help out. They will help you, no matter what time of day it is.

avatar   BETIE   star   3/21/2009   2:57 PM

JIMMY YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NEVER BEEN TASKED TO DO SALES CALLS, WHICH IS BEST!

avatar   Kim   star   3/20/2009   4:51 PM

I take Jimmy is not a salesman, and I hope is not countersales for that matter. If can't do a little smoozing with your own kind, I'd hate to see how you treat a customer.

avatar   Jimmy   star   3/20/2009   4:08 PM

Quit kissing this guys a**! You are just as empty headed as half the people on here that leave comments!

avatar   BETIE KNIGHT   star   3/14/2009   12:53 PM

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH BOB, NEITHER OF US WANT TO WASTE ANY TIME AND IT IS NOT OUR MISSION TO IRRITATE YOU, WE ARE HERE TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE TAKEN CARE OF AND HAPPY WITH THE SERVICES WE PROVIDE. MI AM LUCKY THAT MOST OF MY ACCOUNTS REALIZE THIS AND ARE VERY UNDERSTANDING ABOUT IT... BUT IT ALSO DEPENDS ON WHO GOES OUT TO VISIT AND IF THEY SHOW THEY ARE TRULY CONCERNED WITH SHOP. AND OTHER ACCOUNTS I JUST CALL AND CHECK UP ON A WEEKLY BASIS. COMMUNICATION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IF WE ARE GOING TO WORK TOGETHER! IF YOU WANT US TO COME BACK LATER OR JUST CALL YOU TELL US, IT SAVES BOTH OF US TIME!