ASE P2: Time To 'Get The Lead Out'

ASE P2: Time To ‘Get The Lead Out’

2011 is the final year for ASE paper-based testing.

During each October, Counterman magazine reviews the ASE P2 (parts specialist) test by providing an overview of the parts and other topics covered by the test.

2011 is the final year that pencil and paper tests will be offered. While computer-based testing was offered previously, starting in 2012, ASE moves to all computer-based testing.

ASE cites several reasons why all computer-based testing is better than paper-based. For starters, test-takers will get their scores upon completing the test, rather than waiting for weeks. Computer-based tests also will be offered more frequently, in four two-month windows each, according to ASE. The new tests also increase accuracy of testing.

A counter professional who knows the parts categories backward and forward will be well-served for about  57 percent of the test. The remaining 43 percent covers topics such as management and phone skills, for example.

The goal of the ASE P2 test is to improve the professionalism of the counter pro and establish to others that you know what you’re talking about. It’s not an easy test by any stretch. Members of the aftermarket wholesale and retail parts industry have gathered to produce the P2 questions to tackle real-life situations that parts professionals will find themselves in.


Test-takers must bring a current government or school-issued photo ID and are urged to arrived early to find the correct testing room. Books, calculators, and other reference material will not be permitted in the test room, ASE says. (Exception: English-foreign language dictionaries, English/Spanish Glossary, etc., which will be inspected before and after testing.) It’s to the test-taker’s advantage to answer every question.
Parts pros who pass the test each receive a wallet card, insignia and a certificate. More than 42,000 counter pros are certified in one of ASE’s parts specialist tests, with the vast majority having the P2 certification.


Cooling System

Electrical System

Exhaust Parts

Ignition System

Manual Transmission/Transaxle Parts

Suspension & Steering Parts

Fuel System

Engine Parts

Emission Controls

Driveline Components

Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)


Automatic Transmission/Transaxle


You May Also Like

Turbochargers and GDI: A Winning Combination

Automakers have turned to turbochargers and GDI to boost fuel economy and horsepower – with less displacement.

The popularity of turbocharged gasoline engines has surged over the past 20 years. According to the Department of Energy, approximately 1% of all 2000-model-year light-duty vehicles were turbocharged. Fast-forward to today, and more than one-third of all light-duty vehicles are turbocharged.

So, why the rapid change? That’s simple: fuel-economy standards. Current CAFE standards call for automakers to increase the average fuel economy of their lineups to 54.5 mpg by 2025. To meet these regulations, automakers have needed to innovate. This innovation has led to the advent of new technologies that have changed the entire industry.

Decoding Honda’s VINs

The automaker’s engineering prowess isn’t necessarily on display in its VIN encoding.

Staying Comfortable Behind the Counter

Ergonomics can play a big role in your on-the-job comfort and overall health.

Auto Parts Manufacturers Share Their Perspectives

Chloe Hung, Eric Luftig, Michael Kitching, Eric Sills and Matt Roney discuss what’s top of mind for their businesses.

A Closer Look at Crankshafts

With the great power of the engine comes the great responsibility of the crankshaft.

Other Posts

Spring Cleaning and Seasonal Stocking

Before the public comes calling for their spring cleanup needs, this is the perfect time to take care of our own.

Ball Joints: How Much Play Is Too Much?

There’s a common misconception that any play in a ball joint means it’s
wearing out.

Selling Tools for Underhood Repairs

The category is spread across several vehicle systems, and includes a number of specialty tools.

Charging Ahead: Aftermarket Eyes EV Opportunities

We’ve seen a significant uptick in industry activation surrounding vehicle electrification, in a variety of ways.