PRINCETON, N.J. — Heartland Payment Systems today announced it is offering a comprehensive warranty that protects businesses from payment card breach losses in the event of a breach.
Heartland’s breach warranty is offered at no charge to its Heartland Secure merchants in the first year and can be extended for $8.33 per month per card-entry device. To be covered under the warranty, a merchant must have a Heartland Secure-certified device and process payments through Heartland on that device.
- Heartland Secure is a comprehensive credit/debit card data secure payment solution that combines three powerful technologies – EMV, the Heartland E3 end-to-end encryption technology and tokenization –working in unison to provide merchants with the highest level of protection for card-present transactions.
- Although EMV compliance is not a government or card brand mandate, it is up to the merchant to implement EMV-compliant terminals. Merchants who decide to implement EMV technology will expose their business to fewer disputes over card-acceptance fraud while boosting consumer confidence.
- The breach warranty is straightforward. If the encryption fails on a Heartland Secure machine, Heartland will reimburse the merchant for the amount of compliance fines, fees and/or assessments the merchant must pay to the card brands, issuing banks and acquiring bank(s).
- Encryption is an important part of Heartland Secure. Small businesses are the new target for cyber criminals.According to the National Cyber Security Alliance, 60 percent of breached small businesses go out of business within six months.
- The costs associated with computer and website attacks are well into the thousands and even millions of dollars for a small company, according to the National Small Business Association. The Heartland Secure encryption changes card data from the merchant’s POS system and network into meaningless characters, minimizing the chance of that card data being stolen and monetized.
For more on Heartland, click here.