Morris Auto Parts is old – and proud of it.
Having immigrated from Poland for a better life in the late 1800s, Harris and Hannah Steinberg settled in Philadelphia. Not only did they plant roots, but the two owned and operated H. Steinberg, a wholesale and retail tobacco shop.
Years later, their first-born, Morris, acquired the adjacent properties and opened Morris Auto Parts in 1922.
Initially, the store offered buggy and auto parts. As time went on and technology advanced, buggy parts were phased out. The youngest son, Eugene (Gene), joined, and when Morris died, he acquired the business, opening a complete machine shop. Looking to further expand its reach, he acquired a furniture building and converted it into a repair shop.
Today, Gene’s son, Harris Steinberg, is proud to be at the helm, continuing a legacy of excellence and service. In 2006, Counterman named Steinberg the Counter Professional of the Year, sponsored by WIX Filters, and featured him in the cover story for the December 2006 issue.
“Steinberg has seen firsthand how Morris Auto Parts has grown with the times, because he literally grew up with the store,” the Counterman cover story explains. “As a boy, Steinberg, along with other family members, helped his father and uncles run the store. His main tasks were sweeping, stocking shelves and answering phones, which were too high for him to reach without climbing up on the counter.”
Today, “Morris has it” is more than a motto. On any given day, an eavesdropper can hear longtime customers trading stories with one another, even sharing stories with grandchildren or great-grandchildren.
Steve Tucker, president of Automotive Parts Associates, stated: “If the founding year were compared to the year of a bottle of wine, 1922 was a good year.”