cle owners to correct these conditions in order to reduce the number of accidents.
According to the proposed guidelines, an inspection program would provide, at a minimum, that:
● Every vehicle registered in the state is inspected at the time of initial registration and on a periodic basis thereafter as determined by the state based on evidence of the effectiveness of inspection programs.
● The inspection is performed by competent personnel specifically trained to perform their duties and certified by the state.
● The inspection covers systems, subsystems and components having substantial relation to safe vehicle performance.
● Each inspection station maintains records in a form specified by the state.
● The state publishes summaries of records of all inspection stations at least annually, including tabulations by make and model of vehicle.
The program should be periodically evaluated by the state, and NHTSA should be provided with an evaluation summary.