SAN ANGELO, Texas — Jack M. Landers died July 26, at the age of 89. Landers was a leader in the Texas aftermarket with jobber stores and warehouses from 1952 to 1998.
Landers Automotive Supplies was started in 1936 by Jack’s father, JC Landers. Jack and his brother, Jess Jr., bought out their dad in the 1960’s and were partners until 1986. His son John bought his retiring uncle out at that time. John ran the business with his father from 1986 until it sold to W.M. Automotive in 1998.
The Landers family were members of AWOT from the beginning. Jack was a director in the 1960s and his son, John, was later chairman. Their warehouse was known as Jobbers Service of San Angelo (a member of Federated Auto Parts Distributors) that started in the 1970s. Before that the company was part of Southwestern Automotive Distributors, which later became Star Automotive.
In later years, the family had 10 auto parts stores and two speciality auto paint stores in San Angelo, Midland, Odessa and Abilene, Texas. The warehouse covered from Brady to the East, to Sonora on the South, to Kermit on the West, to Big Spring on the North. Jack was not only an auto parts man, but also an automotive machinist and always had a machine shop. He was the last of a generation, according to his son, John.
Memorial services were held Aug. 1 at the First Baptist Church in San Angelo, Texas.
To read his complete obituary, click here.